09 August, 2009

You try to break the mould before you get too old.

Ok, one book read, two more to go. My exam's tomorrow at 4pm. I think I might be able to pass it if I'm focused and calm enough, I'm gonna try and read one more book and the last one I'll just browse through. I'm pretty sure that just pure common sense may be enough not to flunk.

I just had a disagreement with a friend. I'm fine if people that I consider my equals disagree with me, I even think it's good 'cause it often broadens perspectives, but one thing that really pisses me off and makes me feel like I've just been hit by a baseball bat is when the person in question makes it clear that my opinions and thoughts are of no importance or value and that they're not in any way worthy of consideration. I don't mind if random people out there get all smug about their superiority with their supposedly better-than-thou opinions 'cause I can just sigh and forget about them, but I do not want to spend my precious time getting upset because of people of that sort. If a person feels that the level of their intelligence, knowledge, appearance, success or whatever is high to a degree where they feel no other person can ever reach, not to mention beat them, there's not much you can do to make them realise the limitations of that kind of thinking. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite 'cause I
do know that I sometimes appear very dismissive and flippant towards something I find to be irrelevant, frivolous and/or ignorant BUT I usually don't even try to be friends with people who make me act like the asshole I am.

I really don't want to admit the summer's almost over. I mean, it feels like it was yesterday when I was still in Klagenfurt, but really it's been two and a half months already. The nights in Finland are actually getting darker every day (well, night) which always makes me feel somehow gloomy and nostalgic, not in a bad way but still. Right now I feel like nothing's really happened during these past two summer months but when I start to look at the time more closely, it's pretty clear that more has happened than I ever could've imagined. A good reminder of that was this guy I accidentally bumped into yesterday when I went to the store totally hungover, smelling and looking like the end of the world. I met the guy for the first (and last) time two months ago at some indie club and we ended up talking till the dead of night, I had already forgotten that ever happened. Although the universe could've picked a better moment for our second meeting, he could probably still smell the vodka from Friday in my breath...

Now I have to catch up on my reading. A heart that hurts is a heart that works.

No comments: